Software Engineering Manager – Backend Development (Remote, Americas) job at Shopify
Back-end engineers who are passionate about solving tough problems with great code work in teams that ship on quality rather than on time. Our teams deploy new code several times a day and our production scale is huge. We are talking about over a million online stores and hundreds of millions of inquiries per day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work in seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the world’s largest Ruby on Rails app and we are a big part of the Rails community. We are constantly improving our code base to make it even better.
What you will do as a Software Engineering Manager at Shopify:
- Manage a team and help them prioritize, build, and ship the most impactful features to our merchants and developer community
- As a member of the product area leadership, build a composite roadmap that reflects the priorities in the different areas and continuously rebalance the teams to react to changes in the surrounding conditions
- Work on issues with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion, and advocate for specific engineering roadmap items
- Work with products, user experience, and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants
- Build your team, both through internal development and external recruitment
- Improve yourself as a leader by learning with and from other Shopify leaders, Shopify’s internal leadership development paths and through your own self-directed learning
Important experience and skills to be successful in this role:
- Proven Team Leadership Skills – Your managerial skills and technical depth allow you to develop and mentor others and build your credibility with your team, while executing broader engineering strategies.
- Proven inBackend developments. You feel comfortable diving into the code and interacting with engineers at all levels of seniority
- Knowledge of large scale distributed and highly available systems
- API design and development experience
- Comfortable working with key stakeholders (manager level and above), both technical and non-technical
- Succeed in constituting and developing teams of engineers during your career
- A commitment and a desire for quality, technical excellence and results
Shopify is now permanently remote and is working towards a digital future by default. Find out more about what this can mean for you.
We know that finding a new position can be both exciting and time consuming, and we really appreciate your efforts. Jane is a real lively person (👋🏻) and can’t wait to learn more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what really interests you and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail about this as you want in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
At Shopify, we are committed to creating and fostering an environment in which our employees feel included, valued and heard. We believe that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly improve trade for all. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people of gender and sexual diversity communities and / or people with intersectional identities.Please see our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify’s commitments.
# LI-DNI # LI-REMOTE