ASM INTERNATIONAL GOAL TO REACH ZERO NET BY 2035
September 28, 2021, 7:45 am CET
ASM International NV (Euronext Amsterdam: ASM) announces today its goal of achieving net zero emissions by 2035.
ASM recognizes the importance of the climate crisis for all stakeholders. As a result, this Net Zero goal is a priority in ASM’s sustainability strategy.
“We have built a solid foundation of sustainability achievements over the past few years. We are now taking important steps forward with our sustainable development strategy for the next horizon, of which this Net Zero goal is a priority, as we strive to have a positive impact in the world. said Benjamin Loh, CEO of ASM International.
The goal includes setting science-based targets for Scope 1, 2 and 3 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions with the aim of: reducing emissions as close to zero as possible, maximizing supplying electricity from renewable sources and neutralizing emissions.
As the climate crisis transcends the actions of any company, industry or country, we intend to collaborate across our value chain for collective global impact. In addition, ASM strives to embody high standards in defining, scope, transparency and achievement of this goal.
ASM’s next steps in its Net Zero 2035 goal will be:
- ASM has carried out a detailed study of its Scope 2 emissions with the help of a recognized external expert, on the basis of which it will source 100% of its electricity from renewable sources for all of its operations. worldwide from 2024. Before this date, the ASM aims to:
- Sources 100% of its electricity from renewable sources for key sites in the United States, the Netherlands, Finland, Japan and Singapore, starting in 2021. Compared to its baseline for 2020, this would represent an absolute reduction of approximately 70% of ASM Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions.
- Source 100% electricity from renewable sources for the rest of its global operations starting in 2024. Compared to its 2020 baseline, this would represent an absolute reduction of approximately 90% in Scope 1 GHG emissions. and 2 from ASM.
- We intend to align our target with the 1.5 ° C trajectory of the Paris Agreement;
- Size ASM’s Scope 3 footprint and set a target for all scopes by the end of 2022;
- Accelerate the improvement of the energy efficiency and resources of its products;
- Provide other intermediate goals on the way to Net Zero; and
- Develop an emissions offset and neutralization strategy to address residual emissions.
About ASM International
ASM International NV, headquartered in Almere, The Netherlands, its subsidiaries and holdings design and manufacture equipment and materials used to produce semiconductor devices. ASM International, its subsidiaries and holdings provide production solutions for wafer processing (Front-end segment) as well as assembly and packaging technology and surface mounting (Back-end segment) through facilities at United States, Europe, Japan and Asia. ASM International’s ordinary shares are listed on the Euronext Amsterdam Stock Exchange (symbol ASM). For more information, visit the ASMI website at www.asm.com.
Caution Regarding Forward-Looking Statements: All matters discussed in this press release, except historical data, are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those of forward-looking statements. These include, without limitation, economic conditions and trends in the semiconductor industry in general and the timing of industry cycles in particular, currency fluctuations, corporate transactions, financing and liquidity issues, successful restructuring, timing of large orders, acceptance of new products, competitive factors, disputes involving intellectual property, shareholders or other issues, business disruptions and economic due to natural disasters, terrorist activities, armed conflicts or political instability, changes in import / export regulations, epidemics and other risks indicated in the Company’s reports and financial statements. The Company assumes no obligation and does not intend to update or revise any forward-looking statements to reflect future developments or circumstances.
This press release contains inside information within the meaning of Article 7 (1) of the EU Market Abuse Regulation.
Investor and media contact:
T: +31 88 100 8500
E: [email protected]